Space One Eleven is a visual arts organization founded in Birmingham, Alabama in 1986. Space One Eleven’s mission is to provide professional opportunities for artists, create a forum for public understanding of contemporary art, and offer arts education to area youth.
Key to the philosophic foundation of Space One Eleven is the belief that art is where you find it, whether from a Birmingham artist, a nationally recognized artist or a creative youth in a local Birmingham neighborhood. Art is informed by place, time, and experience. Run by artists, formed by place, and celebrating cutting-edge art that stretches the imagination, Space One Eleven incorporates these principles into all of our programs as we celebrate art and community and foster public conversation.
Space One Eleven Guiding principles:
- Educate the community of the role of artists and art in the public sphere
- Advocate for the payment of professional fees for services to artists
- Assure artistic freedom for artists
- Promote a broad public understanding of the visual arts
- Provide a creative environment that promotes equitable opportunities for interaction among artists, children, their families and the citizens of Birmingham and Alabama
It is our belief that strong cross-cultural, community-based arts programs create a forum for exchange between artists and the public. They also knit together the fabric of a community by elevating public discourse.